And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Firsts

Firsts- they are so exciting, they are so terrifying, they definitely are an adventure. Think back if you can to the first time you drove a car, or the first time you tried a new kind of food, your first kiss....all part of the adventure.

Today I'm jealous again. After two posts in a row about being jealous, I'm starting to wonder if I should look in the mirror to make sure I don't have green eyes yet. Today I am jealous of several of my friends who are expecting children for the first time either through natural birth or adoption. I know this sounds totally crazy because after all, I JUST had one and have been blogging about him almost daily for the past few months. Why be jealous when I have a wonderful child right in front of me? I am jealous that they get to go through the "first time parent" thing. Those are firsts I know I will never get back again and never get to do again and they were amazing. That first realization of knowing that we were going to be parents, the first sonogram, getting to tell your family and friends your good news, buying your first maternity clothes that are still wayyy too big and you think/hope/pray you'll never be big enough to fit into them. There's the first time you feel the baby kicking, the first baby gifts you buy/receive, setting up the nursery in anticipation for the baby's arrival. There is the first contraction (makes you think you'll never do this ever again), the first time you hear the wonderful sound of a tiny cry, the first time your child grabs your finger. Yes I know I'll get to do many of these things again when/if we have another child, but there's something so special and so magical about the first time.


I know I'll get many more "firsts" with Benjamin- first steps, first day of school....hopefully a first night where he actually sleeps through the night :) So amidst my jealousy, I'm excited for what is to come with Benjamin and will fondly look back on that wonderful experience. For all you out there who have yet to experience them....when you do- ENJOY THEM :)


By the way- Mom left today....and I am jealous of the neighbors again :(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kate
First- I LOVE Ben's soccer jersey, Matt will love it too. I need to get one for Levi.

Second- I hear what you are saying about the neighbors. I live across the street from a Mexican family living with 3 generations....probably about 15 or 20 people in the house. Lots of aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and siblings to support and help at all times...I do like my space, but am jealous of them a lot. A big cultural difference, but other cultures have it right in a lot of ways.....

Irene said...

Just think how you were going to move in with me, because you were soooo worried. Before that you had decided that you weren't even go to go through a delivery! Good thing God had something different in mind. But even though you love the first, you will be amazed if you are blessed with other children, how very special their firsts are as well. One walked at 18 mos., the other at 9mos. One stayed put, the other threw himself out of his crib after he figured out that a fall wasn't that bad. The times of the firsts, the difference in personalities, reactions, etc. etc. become new each time. So don't be jealous, it will just be another type of firsts!