And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Discipline

I would like to think that I was just a perfect and well behaved child growing up who naturally did not disobey her parents and naturally was inclined to do good. Of course that's a lie. John Calvin and other theologians have written entire books about how depraved I am, as well as the entire human race. When I was young, my good behavior was the result of my strong desire to avoid being disciplined. I was never spanked as a child but would get my shoulder pinched and would have to go in time out. The shoulder pinching hurt like crazy and the time outs were boring and under stimulating for a very social child. When I got older, time outs turned into groundings and having things taken away. As a high schooler, the very idea of my driving freedom being taken away or not being able to talk on AOL instant messenger was usually enough to motivate me to behave. I'm sure my parents are reading this right now and cringing at the many times that the threat of discipline was not enough to keep my sinful self from getting into trouble.


Well Mom and Dad.....and all other moms and dads out there.......justice comes in the form of procreation. Your naughty children give birth to naughty children and you can watch as they struggle and go through the same challenges you did when you were parenting.


Ben is only 6 and a half months so clearly he can't be getting into any serious kind of trouble yet. He doesn't understand the concept of right and wrong and has very little control over anything in his life. It's interesting though because as he's developing and becoming slightly more independent, the act of discipline is beginning. When we take something away from him or don't do what he wants, he's starting to cry. I am starting to really understand what my parents meant when they said "we're doing this because we love you....we don't like doing it, but we are doing it because we love you." I never totally understood that but I'm getting the feeling I will soon enough. Ben, no, no! don't eat paper..it's not good for you. Ben, no, no! Don't bite mommy. People won't like you later in life if you bite them. It's not nice to hurt other people. Ben, we are going to let you fuss in your crib because you need to sleep and it's bed time. Ben, no no! Don't fling yourself out of your bumbo seat! It will hurt!


I know this is only the beginning of saying no to him. I know this is only the beginning of disciplining him because we love him and want what is best for him. One more important lesson that parenting is teaching me day by day.

No comments: