And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Same Old, Same Old



One important lesson you learn when parenting an infant....never underestimate the power of a good routine. Parenting books and baby websites stress the importance of establishing good routines: have a set in stone bedtime routine, have a nap time routine, set a schedule for your typical day and follow it closely. We originally started with an elaborate bedtime routine for Benj that included bath, baby massage, jammies, Goodnight Moon, bottle, num nummers, sleep (at least we hoped). Since then, we have abandoned the baby massage and Goodnight Moon because he gets too fussy once he's in pj's and won't last through "goodnight socks, goodnight clocks, goodnight bowl full of mush."



Before having Ben, my life was far from "same old, same old." I'm first to admit that my crazy, type-A self often takes on way too much and I end up flying around all over creation attempting to cross things off my growing to-do list. No day was ever the same....the only consistencies were food (that I ate it), sleep (sometimes did that), work (always did that....but tasks and locations varied). Each day contained something new and different from the last so I didn't necessarily know what to expect. One day might have consisted of spending the bulk of my waking hours pouring over Greek and Systematic Theology, another consisted of returning email and hanging banners in the sanctuary, another day started before dawn running 17 miles. No routine...very little consistency.

Now....life has become much more settled and ordinary. Again I will be first to admit...this is a healthy and somewhat welcomed change. Yes I miss having time to do things for myself but I don't miss the chaos. Last night I found myself thinking about this as I stood over the kitchen sink, over my little white plastic dish tub and washed bottles, toys, sippy cups and num nummers for the umpteenth time. Yes I still go to work, yes I run occasionally....but I have settled into a routine...Ben's routine. I know each day will consist of washing bottles and toys at least once, opening the fridge and assembling a small bowl of baby food, setting the coffee pot for the next morning secretly hoping I won't need that extra cup, and most importantly, getting my share of cuddle time with the coolest kid around.

No comments: