And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Monday, February 21, 2011

OK OK.....a new blog


Ok Ok Ok.....now heard from at least 10 people who said "if you're going to stop blogging, please end with something other than Ben's naked butt." So, i'll change it to make everyone happy.


I'm not necessarily planning on discontinuing the blog...as a matter of fact there have been many moments in the past few weeks when I've thought "Wow I need to blog about X." But there's this thing called time, and I seem to get less and less of it each week. I seriously think it's a conspiracy to slowly but surely take minutes out of my day....like an inside bank job where an account only loses a fraction of a penny each day but over time some random account offshore will have millions. My time is hiding in that account somewhere and I'm not feeling optimistic about getting it back anytime in the near future. But....I will try harder. My New Years resolution (that I'm beginning in March apparently) is to blog.


Updates from our neck of the woods....

- Ben is getting tubes put in his ears on Wednesday morning. After 7 double ear infections since November, it's time. He has been on 7 courses of antibiotics (5 different kinds) with the longest stretch between courses being less than 2 weeks. At this point in time, I'm so ready for the surgery to happen that I'm not even feeling that nervous. I'm sick of seeing him in pain and waking up to his screams in the middle of the night. I'm sick of the routine of going to the doctor saying "he has an ear infection...i know it" and having them of course find not only 1 but 2 then off to the pharmacy to fill the prescription then home for naps because we're exhausted. I'm sick of having to buy tylenol and motrin because we used an entire bottle trying to make the days bearable for him. It's definitely time. Poor bug.



- Brian continues in his PhD work and seems to be making good progress. He took the day off yesterday and that was his first day off in 19 days. He's been like the horse with the carrot dangling in front of his face, plodding along hoping to someday get to endulge. Now it's as though he can smell the barn and is starting a sprint to the finish line. Ok maybe not a sprint....I doubt he'll graduate in 2011 but he's enthusiastically moving at a trot rather than a plod.



- Work for me is work. I'm finishing up a class at seminary right now with a paper about what it means to be female and made in the image of God. Very interesting topic and I'm enjoying doing the research. However, I haven't written an academic paper in about 2 years and am struggling to remember good academic speak and proper citation.



- Brina is growing lazier and lazier as the days go on but she's still a good dog. She turned 3 in January so we threw her a "21st birthday happy hour" with all our friends in the neighborhood. We had 12 adults, 4 kids under 3 years old, and 4 dogs who are 50+ pounds.

1 comment:

Callie said...

I always enjoy your posts, and the paper you're writing sounds interesting. I'm currently reading a book called "Mama's Got a Fake ID - How to Reveal the Real You Behind All That Mom." The author went to Calvin, and she has some good things to say.

Anyway, I know it's hard to find the time to blog, and you shouldn't do it out of guilt, but as my good friend CS Lewis once said, "...and whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I have found out long ago." That's why I like to blog.