And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nostalgia

Over the weekend, we were cleaning the house and I decided to tackle the huge bins of baby clothes in the basement. I've just been throwing everything "baby" in giant Rubbermaid bins, swearing I would organize it and label it so when the next child comes around (NO THIS ISN'T AN ANNOUNCEMENT), I would know exactly where everything was and wouldn't have to spend my first few exhausted days of newborn parenting digging through bins for clothes in the "NB" size and for swaddling blankets. So I tackled the project and was met with two main realizations....
#1- Ben has more clothes in those bins than Brian and I combined have in our closets. Even with the the loss of several onesies that were cut off his body and quickly disposed of to avoid smell and poop, he still has SO MANY CLOTHES.

#2- I packed clothes in sizes NB-12 months and couldn't believe my kid is almost a year old. A year ago at this time I was sweating profusely because of the heat and extra 50 pounds of weight I was carrying around. I was sleeping on the loveseat because that is the ONLY place I could get comfortable and not have leg cramps and reflux. I was nesting like a mad woman and preparing a nursery for a baby I'd never officially met but who I already knew. When we were getting ready to leave the hospital, we almost had to take him home in diaper and blanket because the clothes we brought were wayyyy too big. Maybe it was my fear of birthing mondo-baby, but I was overly concerned that there was no way my child would fit in those TINY clothes. My mom went out and bought some premie stuff because that's all that would fit him. Now I look at those same clothes and can't believe Ben was ever that small.
Updates from our world: Child care is going really well. Ben is doing great and so are mom and dad. he's getting a lot more used to it and really likes the social interaction. Ben is a super social kid....we went to visit our friends who have a daughter who is a few weeks older than Ben and he continually was trying to engage her in play. Poor girl was probably thinking " GO AWAY! STOP POKING ME." If you want to read more about our fun morning, read her blog. We're looking forward to a visit from Grandma and Grandpa Ritsema next week!

No comments: