And Then There Were Four

We're creating this blog because it's the cool thing to do when people are having a baby. Just kidding, really we already have a hard enough time keeping up with everyone we want to, and our lives are about to get even more wonderfully busy. We can't wait - and we want you guys to be able to share in it too, so we both plan on reporting on it. Read at your own risk, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Stinky Feet

The other day I was on the floor playing with Ben in the afternoon when my nose picked up a highly unfortunate smell. It wasn't alarming because it could have been one of many different things. Brian plays hockey....if anyone has been around used hockey equipment they know exactly the smell I'm talking about. The scent could be wafting up from my still not fixed basement. Our 55 pound lab mix dog definitely smells. I run and sweat like a pig....and smell. It could have been anything. Then I realized the odor was coming from Ben's feet.

I love baby feet. I think I spent more time gently stroking Ben's precious little newborn feet than I did sleeping in any given 24 hour period. I love the fact that they are still human feet but they're so small and delicate. They aren't hairy. There's no lint between the toes. No callouses or cracked skin. They're just perfect baby feet. Then Ben hit his super chubby phase and his feet no longer fit into anything....socks, shoes etc. We had to buy special "deep and wide" baby shoes for him because of his bubble feet. But they were still precious and I still spent countless hours nibbling on his toes and blowing raspberries on his soles.


That's why it was so alarming that his feet were giving off the mysterious odor in my living room. I took a whiff and had major flashbacks to high school athletics when we would travel to another school and get put in the boy's locker room for pre-game and post-game. After a day of running around in sandals, his feet smelled horrible. It was a yet another sad realization that he is growing up in so many ways. The innocence of new, fresh life is slowly fading away. My little man is growing up before my eyes. He has stinky feet.

No comments: